27 September 2011

An Introduction to Randy’s Monthly Video Game Challenge

Next week I will once again take on the Randy’s Video Game Challenge. Below is an excerpt from my original post on The Slacker Chronicles dated Tuesday, July 14, 2009 to explain the particulars:

Every month I have chosen to focus on one game and play until completion. This doesn’t mean that I have to 100% it, this just means I have to beat the game from beginning to end. By undertaking to challenge myself each month, I agree to complete at least ONE GAME per month. The motivation behind this challenge is to clear out the backlog of games I've accumulated over the years.

My criteria for selecting the games are as follows:

  1. I need to have easy access to the game in question. What I mean by this, is that I have to either own the game, know someone who will lend me the game, or in the case of older retro titles, have access to a working emulator.
  2. The game has to be one I’m interested in. This means I will not force myself to play something like Superman 64, or E.T. the Extraterrestrial: The Video Game.
  3. The game needs to be beatable within one month. There are exceptions to this rule such as for last gen or current generation RPGs which may take upwards of 60+ hours to beat or whole series of games.

Something I wish to add is that I will not exclusively play one game a month. I still intend on playing other games for fun, but overall my focus will be on completing this challenge.

Tune into the next time for more from the exciting world of Randy, where I will reveal my choice for October’s Video Game Challenge.

Happy Halloween!