15 November 2011

Coffee

Someone donated two pounds of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee to the place I work. I was elated when told to brew a pot and sell it at out regular price to our customers, maybe asking for a little donation if they like it. I’ve had Jamaican Blue Mountain before, and can still remember the taste, and I was happy to share it with people who may not have had the chance to try it before.

So I made the pot, and gave it to the first people who walked in, asking them to come back with feedback on what they thought. Ten minutes later, they came back and asked if they could have the regular coffee we sell instead because this didn’t taste right. I was surprised. I poured myself a cup and had a taste, and told them I may have brewed it too weak and to come back next time I was on and I’d figure out the correct ratio of water to grounds.

Last night, after doing much research and math, I figured out an amount that would maybe make it a little strong, but still drinkable. So I walked into work, got out my measuring cups, did my thing and brewed another pot of Jamaican Blue. This time I wasn’t taking any chances, this time I took the first cup from the freshly made pot…and it was a complete failure.

First off, the coffee tasted like an ashtray or dirty dishwater or both. This was not the Jamaican Blue I remembered. Second off, without an hour of drinking the coffee, I was hit major stomach upset and pain. Signs that the coffee was stale. I’ll have to check in with my boss to see if they still expect me to sell it, but myself I will not be drinking any.

Happy Halloween!