05 December 2011

Damn, Cold Won’t Go Away

Since I have such a bad cold (which I’m starting to think is not a cold), I’ve been forced to sit back, relax, and NOT overexert myself. Luckily, I’m not working until Thursday morning. With all this relaxation time, I’ve been able to watch some movies, TV, play games, and sleep here and there (I’ve not really be sleeping). So here are some super short reviews of things I’ve played and watched in the last few days while I’ve relaxed.

  • Games:
    • FATE/Extra (PSP) – Interesting story, trial and error combat is both fun and frustrating at times, good for pick up and play sessions.
    • Mario Kart 7 (3DS) – This game was given to me at launch as an early Christmas present. I’ve beaten all the 50cc cups, 50% of the 100cc cups, and 25% of the 150cc cups. Probably one of the best Mario Kart games released. New tracks are fun. I just wish there was more acknowledgement of Mario Kart Double Dash. Great and easy to access online.
    • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (WII) – I’ve only clocked roughly 3 hours of game time since I started this morning. Slow burn at the start, but totally engrossing. Some of the best graphics I’ve seen on the Wii. I’ve only seen the tip of the ice burg but the WiiMotion+ controls are flawless at this point, I look forward to seeing how the combat evolves as I play more.
  • Movies/TV:
    • The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes – When this first started airing I couldn’t get into it. The first episode with its terrible voice acting, and uninteresting plot killed it for me. A few months later I tried to watch the pilot/promotional webisodes which lead up to the events of the first episode, and still couldn’t get into. Throughout this time, I’d been hearing that its a good show, and so I’ve given it a third chance. I am currently half way through the first season, and I’m digging the Saturday morning cartoon vibe. Some of the voice work still rubs me the wrong way, but I’m getting used to it. I like how they’ve made a version of the Marvel universe that seems to take the best from the other versions and combine it. I can’t wait to watch more. The show is a slow starter and was well worth taking the chance on it while it ironed out the kinks. I highly recommend it now.
    • Super 8 – Slow paced, but well done and entertaining.
    • Transformers The Dark Side of the Moon – I’ve watched this movie twice, and have concluded that it would have been a better movie if they had cut out all the scenes with human actors. The characters are flat, the humour is unfunny, and the plot almost incoherent. On the other hand, the action sequences are just plain cool to watch. The final hour of the movie is one long action scene, and when it ends the movie just kind of stops. I’m hoping there isn’t another one. Not a good movie.

I admit it, I’m not a good reviewer, but those were my thoughts on the things I played/watched in the last few days. I’m going to go continue to take it easy and take a nap.

Happy Halloween!