19 October 2011

Early Morning Musings

So, yeah, I feel like absolute crap today. My body hurts, my eyes hurt, and my stomach is upset. Just not my day. So I’ve been surfing the internet, and all I’ve got to say is, “What’s the deal with “Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure”?” The internet has been surprisingly receptive of this “game” manufactured to sell toys to little kids. Gabe and Tycho of Penny Arcade seem to like it, and Jeff Gerstmann, of Giant Bomb, has taken it and ran with it, going so far as considering on the latest Bombcast (10-18-2011) to go out and purchase all $400 worth of the figurines. The last part should be taken with a grain of salt as Mr Gerstmann is known for doing stupid things when it comes to video games.

Here’s the launch trailer:

I really don’t know how I feel about all this. The trailer makes me immediately nostalgic for old Transformers, He-Man, TMNT cartoons, etc. Cartoons whose sole purpose was to sell toys to children. At the same time, it makes be feel dirty. How much of the game can be completed with the starter figures? What is the entire cost of the game if you just want to “mainline” the game?

Happy Halloween!