10 October 2011

ETERNAL DARKNESS: "Is This Really Happening?!" (Minor Spoilers)

So, I just played Eternal Darkness again for roughly 50 minutes or so. I think I’m finally at the point in the game where shit just got real. The combat is still clunky, but with a better weapon things are much easier. In the third chapter, you play a squire (?) to Charlemagne who receives a message meant for his king, and becomes infected by its curse. The chapter teaches you the basics of the magick systems in the game, which requires the player to collect runes and assemble them in such a way to produce a spell. As the chapter progresses, the cursed character is slowly rotting away, becoming a zombie. This is also the first time I’ve felt how Sanity effects the actual game. As my character’s sanity was lost the camera went slight askew, and there were parts of the game you would play through just to discover you imagined it and had to redo it again. Once this starts happening, the tension rises. While I wasn’t frightened in the slightest, I can see how this mechanic can lead to some possible terrifying situations.

Happy Halloween!